PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind approaches
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2023, 20:09
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 437 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by 206Fan
According to the report, the pilot had 108 hours TT.

The RAF’s basic helicopter course (Whirlwind 10 in my time) was 110 hours. Students would by then already have completed a basic flying course on the Jet Provost Mk3, of about the same length, and possibly another 35 hours or so on the JP5 before getting streamed to rotary. After the basic RW course they would go on to the twin engined Wessex 2, or 5 for another 35 hours before being presented with “Wings”. After that they would be required to complete the Operational Conversion Unit course before being posted to a squadron. They would need to complete a Combat Ready training syllabus and successfully pass a check ride after 6 months, before which they were very carefully monitored and supervised and often crewed up with an experienced crewman for very basic tasks, such as soldier emplaning and deplaning drills and air experience. They would not be allowed to self authorise until deemed experienced and competent to do so. If the individual didn’t pass the CR check and subsequently failed to do so after a short period of remedial training, *he would be required to surrender his entitlement to wear the “Wings” badge.

*I say “He” because at the time I went through training, females were disallowed to undertake pilot training.

For me, this puts “self auth” helicopter ownership at 108 hours into a quite different perspective.