PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training in US vs. UK (British citizen)
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2023, 10:43
rhal96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Training in US vs. UK (British citizen)

Hi everyone,

I'm a 26 year old British guy living currently in France and have been doing quite a bit of research into becoming a helicopter pilot. My personal professional history has nothing to do with flying (I was a journalist in London and Lyon in France) but I enjoy being in the air as I'm a hang glider pilot.

Two routes (both integrated) have been suggested to me so far by helicopter pilot friends:

1.) head to the US where training is cheaper (on an F1 visa) and start working as an instructor somewhere stateside, aiming to get 1000 hrs by the time I leave and maybe an IR. Hillsboro academy in Portland seems to have good reviews and also offers an intergrated FAA/EASA course too
2.) Train in the UK and start working either as an instructor or fork out some money for an IR rating immediately to go the oil and gas route (I've heard there's quite a shortage there).

My question: how easy is it to convert an FAA license to an CAA one (or an EASA to CAA). I eventually want to end up living in a mountainous region, I've always thought that would be the Alps, but really anywhere with mountains is good! Getting up hours seems to be a lot easier in the UK (oil and gas) or the states (as an instructor, although pay seems less good), than it is in the EU.

Any other pointers on where I should study/what route I should take would be much appreciated!

Cheers