PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perth STARs and ATC
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2004, 07:13
Knackers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can assure you that controllers are just as frustrated with PH airspace and procedures as are pilots. I understand that the 03ILS STAR has been held up by the need for an environmental assessment due to the change in tracks. Sounds crazy to me that we can vector acft all over the sky but need an environmental assessment for a STAR.

However, this has all become tangled up in the Breakdown of Separation (BOS) review, which holds that PH procedures don't comply with current guidlines. The complexity of the airspace redesign is due to the numerous tracks out of PH to mines and the eastern states, the RAAF airspace, the proximity of Pearce and JT (and its training area), the lack of C airspace south of PH, the need to have aircraft procedurally separated before radar coverage is lost, the need to force 80% of the traffic through a small sector east of PH (with all the consequent crossovers), etc. Wait 'til E airspace drops to FL140 (or thereabouts) later this year. Traffic departing PH will have to have a requirement to be above this inbound traffic because they wont yet be within radar coverage! Not a problem for B737 and there ilk, but definitely a problem for other aircraft.

I agree with one of the other posts - if you want the 03 ILS, just ask for it - preferably before I issue those convoluted STARs and transitions!