PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speedbird Pilot Academy - Funded
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2023, 10:17
PPRuNeUser0195

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FuturePilot_123
I did an Aero Engineering Degree at a top UK university, and am mid way through my ATPLs. Although I am now studying for my ATPLs alongside a full time job - it is no walk in the park. Don’t be fooled. There are maths heavy subjects, and knowledge heavy subjects - but you need to pass all!

So although it is not necessary as per the entry criteria to be a wizz kid, when you have to calculate a flight plan under time constraints, remember Gen Nav formulae under exam conditions, if you don’t have a strong background in Maths - you will fail. I am surprised airlines like BA are willing to take that gamble, providing they have pride in all pilots to have ATPL result of greater than 85% overall.

That’s not to say the ATPLs are impossible. You just can’t go about them with the opinion that you’ll wing it by learning the banks. After all, who wants to board an aircraft with someone in the nose who doesn’t have a scooby.
They aren’t taking a gamble though, they’re doing a fairly stringent selection process to make sure they find the right people. They will then have 6 months instruction to make sure they can pass the exams. I agree they’re really difficult but there’s a huge difference between classroom based and distance learning ATPL theory. BA won’t allow someone in the flight deck unless they meet the standard it’s that simple. The employment offers will all be conditional based on meeting criteria through training.