PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hill Helicopters HX50
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2023, 00:27
Shagpile

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bell_ringer
So limited to 4 seats and 3300 lbs MTOW.
How does the HX fit into that?
They have a fairly detailed list to calculate the 50% fabrication portion, with Hill pre-fabbing a lot of the components, I am curious to see how it complies, it appears to be more assembly than anything else.
Yeah really good question for Australians. I want to track down the answer for this, but it seems the special CoA is unlimited in size & POB (generally), but the ABAA is a sub-category inside there that recognises Amateur Built with those restrictions mentioned. I suspect it will be something along the lines of UK permit, then transfer, rather than an Aussie LAME/Inspector on site. But I could be wrong. Unsure if that happens and it’s outside the ABAA AC, whether owners will have privileges of issuing their own MR’s and things like that as they do with Vans RV’s they built (or have built a similar type).

FAA have a complex formula to determine what constitutes 51% and JH has mentioned several times that commercially assisted build and assembly will comply. Most major components such as engines, gears, avionics, blades (etc) are allowed to come factory built. He mentioned the owner will be involved in composite fuselage layup, and basically all assembly. I’m sure he will get this compliant and if it ticks the FAA formula, it should satisfy every other jurisdiction.