PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beacon OFF before engine start!
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2023, 13:30
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a dilemma. On of our PA28s just has a red tail strobe. I asked the menders if they'd kindly wire it into the master so I can see when I've left the master on (as above). They rather impolitely declined so it's in the aircraft specific checklist to leave it on.
The other PA28 has combined tail and wing tip strobes and I do brief the students on how it's bad for bystanders' eyes to have them on near people. Consequently it's 'on' during the vial actions at the hold and 'off' on the after-landing checklist for that particular aircraft. So I'm now confusing students who fly both aircraft with different procedures.
Add to the mix our examiner who demands to know why we're turning off the beacon with the engine running...
One solution would be to retrofit the split switch and buy a separate strobe unit for the wings but I've got other priorities for the money like an interior refurb and radios. Plus, of course, actually sourcing a switch, they're like hen's teeth. Ideally, we should do the same to both aircraft for commonality. The other solution would be to remove the wingtip strobes, undoubtedly the cheapest option.

TOO