PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zero bags!
Thread: Zero bags!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2023, 23:31
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Superpilot
In order of priority 1.) Safety, 2.) Comfort, 3.) Punctuality, 4.) Anything else. That 'Anything else' is a commercial decision on almost every occasion. An airline captain announcing that commercial decision to the pax will almost always result in no. 3 being compromised by angry passengers and sometimes even no. 1. As stated in the press release, if they didn't depart Bilbao in time, the return pax would have to be accommodated. The airline industry operates on razor thin margins. If the public paid a fair price, maybe more planes/pilots would be available to perform rescue flights for delays that are actually completely outside of their control?
I assume #2 is referring to yourself, not your customers?

Ever lived in Darwin and flown to Auckland?

Swapping the thongs for ugg boots, shorts for jeans and singlet for a puffer jacket - none of that is my carry on.

The worst and it happened to me, was the Captain stood in front of us and made the announcement explaining a fault with a cargo door and that was why we were late and had a strange planning and deplaning method - I think everyone appreciated that honesty.
However at around midnight after a 5 hour flight the carousel stopped & about 20 of us had no bags!!!! No announcement and no staff insight to help NOTHING!!! So I got the attention of a baggy airside and he found us a staff for missing bags - she already had all our names.

At very least between takeoff & leaving the airbridge we should have been informed of no bags - not waiting till the carousel to stop wasting an hour at that time.

You as the Captain knowing you have no bags or less bags need to make sure that at some point and by some means the punters are informed of what is happening. You as the Captain are responsible for both passengers & freight.

In my case a simple announcement some bags were left behind just prior to getting off the plane & someone will be at the baggage area to assist.