PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speedbird Pilot Academy - Funded
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2023, 13:50
Angle_of_Attack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RingleRider
I happen to know someone who works in the recruitment team and they are pushing to have a better proportion of diverse backgrounds in the selection pools. So if your name sounds like it’s from a diverse background you have a better chance of getting through some of the stages.
For some reason not all the comments on this forum load when they're posted so I'm only just seeing this now, but.. wow.
In general, if you don't understand something it's better to learn about it than make ridiculous assumptions and spread baseless rumours.
Frankly I'd genuinely be surprised if you did well on the SJT or fact checking tests as the inference you made from that is astounding.
There are plenty of people with "diverse backgrounds" who have white-sounding surnames. As an example, if you had one "white" paternal grandparent but the rest of your family were BAME, you'd largely be of an "ethnic" background but on paper no one would know because you'd have a "white-sounding" family name.
When I see "pushing to have a better proportion of diverse backgrounds in the selection pool" I don't automatically conclude that it means they're selecting people purely on their race.
I don't have an HR background at all, but the first thought that comes to my mind is "How can they reach populations that might otherwise have missed this opportunity?"
This could take place in various forms, from representation to outreaches (going to schools and communities to advertise the programme) and one way to track if these methods are working is by seeing if there is an increase in applications from these populations (hence why they ask for the info on the application) andNOT that they are using that to select who gets on the programme itself.

Like someone else said, I hope BA recruitment is reading this thread (as well as other airlines) and take your comments on here into account when deciding if you make it or not.