PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TOP GUN : Inside the RAF (where did it go?)
Old 22nd Sep 2023, 22:59
sittingstress

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BEagle
Indeed! Many, many years ago not long after the earth had cooled, dinosaurs were still within living memory and the RAF still had F-4s, I was on exercise at the RAF's phinest phighter station in Suffolk. The local TV turned up to do some filming and came down to the ORP next to where our 4 jets were cocked at RS10. They wanted to know what would 'make good TV', so we arranged that our ops guy would rush out of the ORP hut and yell "54 / 64 SCRAMBLE!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-6rHx39Bv4

That all went fine, but 'running' across the soggy muddy grass in full flying kit (including bone dome, mae west, turning trousers, leg stranglers and goon suit) was pretty knackering! By the time we reached our jets, we were rather shattered, but crewing in, cranking up and roaring off in full AB all went well! The Boss later teasingly accused us of 'turning back RAF air defence to second world days' - but ITV was happy enough!!

Anyway, watching the 'Top Gun Lossie' programme, every time I see some mate flying a Typhoon all I can think is "You lucky, lucky so-and-so!".

BEagle, which one are you?

1. Dashing chap with African Sunset hair and 'tache
2. Dashing chap mysteriously ready with helmet in hand, sans hair
3. Dashing chap with faux look of surprise and dark hair
4. Dashing chap with his back to the camera