PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA28 smoke source mystery
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2023, 21:11
sconnors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonkster
The most likely (but not definitive) cause of smoke in the cockpit would be an electrical issue.

Some questions that may possibly be worth asking to get a fuller picture:

1. Was there any smell at the time? (And did you try sniffing under panel afterwards?) If there was smoke where you saw it, it may not necessarily be the magneto/starter switch, it may have come from somewhere else behind the panel and just appeared there.
Yes, but I ventilated it and no ther was no smell coming from underneath afterwards

2. Were you stationary at the time or did it happen during taxi?
I just parked (after taxiing) and in that instant noticed it, so yes, stationary

3. Was the door unlatched during taxi? Storm window?
Accidentally helft storm window open through out the flight, only noticed on landing

4. When you said it stopped on shutdown, was that shutdown of the engine or master? Did smoke stop with engine stop or master off? Did it stop immediately when doing this?
Unabel to answer this one specifying whether it was master of engine shutdown, but I can say it did stop, and didn't return on re-starting

5. Were there any systems not working normally during the flight? (radio, cockpit lights, popped circuit breakers etc)
No everything was perfectly fine (pre and post this issue)

6. Did you notice the behaviour of the ammeter during the flight and prior to shutdown? If so anything unusual?
Can't say with certainty

7. Were the air vents open? Was the cockpit fan on? Has arcraft been used for scattering someones ashes recently? (serious question - people do this by opening the storm window and trying to empty it out through that, will result in a blizzard of dust inside the cockpit that will go everywhere and not easily cleaned out. The loved one will need to be hoovered.).
The loved one being hoovered is is indeed a scary image, but no, defintely nothing like that

8. weather conditions? (was it humid?)
Possibly, but completed multips carb heat checks en-route without issues, if thats what you were thinking