PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speedbird Pilot Academy - Funded
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2023, 20:27
Alanga1991

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lukey31051999
Upon reflection, my comment was poorly worded, and yes did come across as spoilt. I suppose my point is where do I improve - I accept better candiates get in and I don't doubt that. But I think from the volume of times I've applied, money I have invested into a PPL, work experiences, I would like to know what I am lacking (and yes I am working on self-awareness). However, I do believe often that d&i can swing too much in one direction, surely pilots should be chosen on merit? I am all for D&I of course but the recent RAF scandal about 'too many useless white male pilots' shone light ono this issue.
But pilots ARE chosen on merit. I'd like to think my captain and FO both got to the pointy end of that metal tube taking me on holiday by working hard. But not taking people's background into consideration would be missing out on so many talented people who haven't had the chance to prove themselves. For instance you were in the UAS and now have 24hrs towards your PPL, working a city job. Some may see that as privileged and in a position to be able to fund your own training. Where as others haven't had that opportunity(UAS). But the main issue is you're failing at the screening tests, which have nothing to do with diversity. So if you don't get through and see BA have found 20 minorities out of a pool of 50,000+ candidates, please do not pull the race card. Because the screening tests, on the surface at least, do not discriminate. And finally don't be disheartened. This is COMPETITIVE and if you don't make it, try and try again. But statistically speaking some of us will never get it and will have to make our dreams happen the hard way. Like a majority of people. And that's okay too