PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speedbird Pilot Academy - Funded
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2023, 18:02
RexBanner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aj2017
Yes because computers do a lot of the maths for you for things such as fuel burns and speeds. As someone who’s sat in the right hand seat then you’ll agree that you need to be able to do a lot of the maths in those questions in order to be able to get through the ATPL theory? And for what it’s worth I agree the angles in a triangle isn’t relevant, I’m referring mainly to the speed / fuel burn type calculations.
Agreed some of that stuff (with emphasis on some) is relevant for the ground school but there’s very little maths questions with that degree of time pressure on them in the real world of the ATPLs. As people in this thread have said this is just a filter. Some good people will get through some bad will and vice versa. It’s a numbers game for the airline, they have far too many applications to go through so what’s a good way to whittle them down? A faceless process that for them is absolutely automated. Do not get discouraged if you don’t pass these tests is all I am saying. It’s not relevant to the day to day job and it’s not even relevant to the ATPLs.

(For full disclosure my 98% in ATPL General Navigation exam was achieved with decidedly average maths skills)