PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAS grounds planes
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2004, 03:34
BeachBum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on JAS MD-81/MD-87. Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport of Japan has announced that JAS has completed the inspection of all 52 Pratt & Whitney JT8D-217A/C engines, including spares, as of January 21. 21 engines were found to have a crack on a stator blade in a compressor. 31 engines were found to have no damage on a stator blade. Five MD-81 and two MD-87 were found to have both engines without a stator blade damage. Addition to that JAS has fitted two MD-81 with a spare engine they had. Total of nine JAS MD-81/MD-87 are airworthy at this time, according to Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport.

JAS is working to get leased JT8D-217A/C engines. Where only one engine was found to have a crack in a stator blade, JAS is removing a good engine from one aircraft and trying to match with another aircraft with only one good engine. JAS will cancel 59 flights on January 22, and JAS has said that it will take least few weeks to have all MD-81/MD-87 back to airworthy and return to normal schedule.

I have one question. Is no.1 engine and no. 2 engine on MD-80s interchangeable? I mean, can a left engine on one MD-80 aircraft be used as a right engine on another MD-80 aircraft? Is correct that all four engines on 747 are inter-changeable? JAS has said that they are putting one good engine from one aircraft to another aircraft. I am wondering if no. 1 engine from one aircraft have to be used as no. 1 engine on another aircraft. Just curious.