PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind approaches
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2023, 06:41
paco

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
"I thought good captaincy was knowing when to say, "Sorry fellas we can't land there today, guess we'll have to go with plan B"? I mean, I'm fine risking my own life, but,... "

Wait until it's getting to be dusk, the passengers are late, there is no shelter, you can't leave one behind because you won't find them again in the dark and you have to use your tricks of the trade to rescue them from their own screwups.

"The engine doesn't know you are down wind"

Neither do the rotors, except for a little dirty air from the tail rotor.

The big difference in being downwind is the lack of kinetic energy.

An aircraft flying at 30 knots into a 30 knot wind is doing that speed aerodynamically, but is stationary inertially, as it has no kinetic energy. In effect, it is hovering. On the other hand, the same aircraft with a tailwind of 30 knots possesses 60 knots’ worth of kinetic energy from its groundspeed, although, aerodynamically, the conditions are identical. If the downwind aircraft turns through 180°, it will end up with 60 knots of groundspeed and 90 knots of airspeed, so it will climb as the surplus is converted to potential energy. On the other hand, the aircraft starting with the headwind will lose height because it lacks 60 knots’ worth of kinetic energy. A heavy aircraft, or one with less power, could crash.

As long as you are aware of the power requirements and what the air is doing, I don't see a major problem. Of course it's not ideal, but, hey, life isn't perfect.