PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind approaches
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2023, 17:13
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I would always fly approaches with the same approach angle and as slow as I could. The best approaches I flew did not require a pitch attitude change from 50 knots (Bells) or 60 knots in AS350/355 at 300' AGL, controlling angle of descent with small power/collective movements. Yes, that can be done, at least in an AS350/355 and a Bell 206 series. Elevated points of landing, especially those being in downwind turbulence may require a change in particulars...

In my opinnion 'flat' approaches make ground speed difficult to judge, potentially leading to a last minute tail-low, hard decel attitude, which could poduce complications and more hazard than one's typical slow approach and angle terminating in a stable hover attitude.

My personal favorite approach was the "high overhead" in which one is constantly turning in a continuously decelerating, descending spiral from the high recon. Delay the yaw around to align the aircraft with ground track until absolutely required. And- it may never be required depending on wind, obstructions, terrain or how you plan to position for the loading/unloading.

It is not absolutely required that the nose be pointed in the direction of travel. You can turn the aircraft sideways to observe the point of landing, ie: in the AS350 I flew on the last job, I would fly the final segment left side forward and align it at the last possible moment. It takes some practice to be able to judge angle and rate of closure with a new aspect. That's not required in an LZ that requires a vertical descent, in which case I would turn the nose such that I had the best view of most threatening obstacle.