PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss of separation at FL350 near Grafton - Two E190 aircraft.
Old 20th Sep 2023, 01:29
sunnySA

Received 138 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm curious to know what happens in these TRA sectors - do the all the conflict alarms get turned off, screens switch off etc? I'd be surprised if there is no-one looking at them - but just not enough (qualified) people to provide the service. The airport that most recently started all of this - Darwin - clearly had some staff on duty through the nights - just not enough.

So for this incident, I wonder if it is possible someone noticed the impending problem - or an alarm went off - and that caused the instruction to go out - even though they weren't technically controlling the airspace?
So many questions.
Originally Posted by 10JQKA
As post # 3 & post #4 explained it wasn't tra/tiba so it's not relevant.
AFAIK, the airspace at the time wasn't a TRA and therefore TIBA procedures were not applicable. I'm not even sure that the airspace was subject to an Operational Restriction NOTAM. But the sector grouping has had numerous TIBA/TRA and Operational Restrictions NOTAM issued over a long period of time so I think it would be fair to say that it is a Group that has been doing it pretty tough for a long period of time (too long). I feel for the Individual ATC and the Group as a whole.

Thread drift, but the question about alarms is important, especially when the APP/DEP function isn't staffed and whether other Units assuming responsibility e.g. Cairns Tower, Mackay Tower or an enroute group has the same alarms, different alarms or no alarms.

The following users liked this post: