PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USMC F-35B Crash - 17 Sep 23
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2023, 22:43
Mozella

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailvi767
......... snip.............
We do know the stealth features seem to work!
Not necessarily. Who exactly would be skin painting this flight of two? Air Traffic Control would be looking at a transponder and if it was the wing-man who ejected and if he/she had the transponder turned off (which would be normal) then unless they were attacking a defended military position, it is unlikely that any agency would be skin painting the aircraft as it continued to fly for whatever reason.

A 767is far from stealth, but turn off the transponder and you disappear for all practical purposes if we're talking about non combat normal commercial aviation. Skin painting is not completely gone just yet, but certainly most of the airborne air traffic is not controlled using conventional (or should I say old fashioned) skin paint radar.

This isn't the first time someone shucked out of a flyable aircraft which continued on it's own, but none of the instances I know about up to now resulted in losing track of the pilot-less aircraft. But don't forget that the United States Marine Corps is credited with a number of aviation "firsts" and not all of them resulted in the Corps being covered in glory. I'm thinking about an F-8 Crusader taking off with the wings folded back in the day.

Last edited by Mozella; 19th Sep 2023 at 22:48. Reason: add photo