PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Forgotten Modular ATPL Student
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2023, 06:24
VariablePitchP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FuturePilot_123
Hi guys,

It would appear that most cadetships this year (except the initial TUI MPL scheme) have excluded Modular ATPL students from applying.

I am assuming there are many other students like myself with minimal financial backing, but have made a conscious effort to obtain a PPL, and embark on the ATPL journey.
Being considered as over qualified for cadet opportunities, and also under qualified for schemes such as BA's Whitetail programme (CPL ME IR and UPRT required to be eligible), I see a disadvantage in the window of opportunity for modular students.

I am a determined modular student, working full time, with a mortgage and bills to pay - I will still struggle to make it to the flight deck without taking a significant loan to cover latter parts of my training.

I'm sure there are many other people in the same boat as me, so I though this thread would be useful to discuss any upcoming opportunities for modular students with some ATPL exams under their belt!

It’s always been that way. You’ve never had access to the big ticket sponsored schemes with ATPL exams.

It’s a gamble - you either wait out and hope for one of those spots, or crack on with Modular or integrated. I’m sure there’s plenty of integrated students with a few exam passes annoyed that they can’t apply as well. Just how it is.

You’ve made the right call going Modular. I’ve said it before, rudestuff speaks an awful lot of sense regarding career earnings and taking credit now to get ahead. What good is feeling righteous and noble about not borrowing but spending 4 years less as a training captain on training captain money? Not all debt is ‘bad’, ask anyone with a mortgage!