PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Il Frecce Tricolore-Ejection at Turin 16 Sept 2023
Old 16th Sep 2023, 21:27
jeallen01

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AN2 Driver;11503853, where
Reports are it was caused by a bird strike.

This makes the type as well as the fact that it was the Frecce rather irrelevant, power loss and consequenct accidents caused by this can happen to any single engine jet and occasionally even to rather large airliners.
If true, in general terms, I recant my comment about the power unit - OTOH, air show displays are almost always (& have to be!) done at low level - where bird strikes are a definite and well-known hazard!. Therefore, maybe, more strike resistant jet engines should probably be considered as "necessary" or at least "strongly advised".

In which case the some of the power plants in older airframes are (but not always!)) more likely to considered vulnerable to bird strikes than modern ones.

Please don't assume that I'm against formation displays at airshows because I'm not, but the aircraft involved do need to be suitable for the likely conditions - and that must include possible bird strikes, given the number of times those have been shown to happen, being included in the risk assessments which should be performed prior to the shows.

BTW: OTOH, I understand that some very old jet motor designs are very bird strike tolerant - maybe someone with more knowledge might like to enlarge on that point?