PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Controversial use of Transient engine rating in PT6
Old 15th Sep 2023, 15:28
svickova

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Controversial use of Transient engine rating in PT6

Good morning! First of all I want to thank you all for all the knowledge shared in this website.

I work in a firefighting company, operating the pt6a-67f. Some pilots (thanks God not so many) tend to use the transient torque engine rating limited to 20 seconds (but not limited in number of excedances) as a normal operation just to get some more performance (climbing stepper so they can get to dump to confined areas, loading a few more gallons when scooping etc).

Even if you are not a genious you can understand this is not an efficient and safe way to operate an engine, at least if you want not to degrade it earlier than normal. I was diving in the official documentation from EASA, FAA and Pratt & Whitney and was not able to find any statement saying "guys, do not go there voluntarily unless you need to save your life, never use it as a normal regime", maybe because it is so obvious...

Could you please provide me with any documentation just to discuss that way to operate?

Thanks a lot!