PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Baltic information
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2023, 07:25
twentyfivehundred220

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chris1311
Hey there!

Can anyone who is actually flying there share updated insights on how the rosters, treatment , colleagues, general mood in cockpit etc is?

Also how trustworthy the Fast Track Command programm is in terms of „is the CP upgrade actually happening or is it a marketing claim?“

I am due for the assessment in rix soon.

Thanks a million in advance
I've been flying at airBaltic for more than a year and I really enjoy a lot of parts of it, so here's a bit of an extended version of my experience:

In the realm of crew planning, BT has a diverse range of destinations, from nearby cities to far-flung gems like Dubai and the Canary Islands. It's like picking from a buffet every month when bidding for flight, but of course - you will not fly all of your favourite flights every day. The rule is to satisfy 60-70% of each pilots wishes, and for me works out pretty well. The more contentious thing our wet lease-out operations in Oslo, Düsseldorf, Zurich, and our very own base stations in Tampere, Tallinn and Vilnius. Many of our pilots choose to commute directly to these stations from their homes across Europe. I was just flying as a safety pilot for a new SFO's first line training flights - a very experienced captain from Finland, he said he will not even consider renting in Riga - he will commute to outstations. So it’s really up to you to pick your lifestyle and roster

Treatment colleagues, general mood:
Regardless of anything, those who are dissatisfied tend to be more vocal, while those who genuinely enjoy their experiences often prefer the tranquility of cruising at FL360, while sipping their coffee Which is a good thing, I guess, hence the reason this forum might lean toward negative opinions as a result. However, when it comes to life at our airline, BT, I'd like to emphasize that for me it's, in fact, quite pleasant. Communication here is transparent and flows both vertically and horizontally. The Chief Pilot's office is always open, encouraging an open dialogue. Adhering to standardised procedures, training, and simulator sessions is like a must in the company, so basically all are treated equally, and to be honest, for me this consistency makes it very transparent and comprehensible. In the mean time you ahve to know your stuff, be prepared, study, etc. Then again, any form of rude or aggressive behavior, whether directed towards cabin crew, operations, or colleagues is totally rejected. In my experience, I've seen cases where a few pilots were exceptionally rude or disrespectful, and the airline responded (in my opinion) appropriately. We have a lot of young captains who’ve been at airBaltic for several years, so the mood in the cockpit is the mood you choose to set

The CP upgrade is not just a claim, if you apply as an SFO you will have a chance to upgrade soon. Just do the math yourself - BT will have 50 aircraft soon, that means roughly around 250 captains, now we maybe have around 190 (+/- 10), AND they are working summer schedules of 80-90BH already. The other thing is - the Chief pilots have been very open about not wanting “Direct entry” Captains on the A220. So going through the SFO option basically is the fast track.

Apologies for the lengthy essay, but I wanted to provide a more balanced perspective amidst the prevailing negative sentiments, because I really like airBaltic from a lot pf perspective, and I think a lot of colleagues would agree.

Ad good luck with your assessment!