PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MPs debate implications of insolvent ATOs
Old 14th Sep 2023, 13:18
BillieBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, that's 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Ill informed opinion meets disinterested obfuscation. I doubt the industry will gain anything from that little exhibition.

There is nothing in the Basic Regulation or in Part-ARA that places any responsibility for financial oversight on the Authority beyond an indication in AMC1 ARA.ATO.105 that an oversight inspection should seek evidence of sufficient funding. I have never known this to happen and it is unlikely that any inspector would have the knowledge or experience to judge such evidence if it were to be provided.

There was a requirement in JAR-FCL for an FTO to satisfy the Authority that sufficient funding was available to conduct training to the approved standards but this was not carried forward into the EU regulations. The UK CAA initially tried to insist on a financial statement, current balance sheet and 3-year business plan as part of the initial ATO approval application and this requirement was included in the first issue of Standards Document 55. However, as there was nothing in the Regulation to support this, it had to be dropped.