PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do I see this as another expensive PFI farce wrapped up under a new name
Old 14th Sep 2023, 10:46
Not_a_boffin

Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Davef68
So completely different from the Voyager or Point class deals, other than they might be looking for some Govt contracts/funding

Re the Points - I think 4 of the original 6 are still on contract, the other two having been released and sold in 2011/12. There is a contract up for grabs for a 5 year Sealift contract from 2025 as a replacement/extension.(most likely an extension as I can't see someone coming in with a lower bid with new ships)
Indeed. Completely different. Right this second, nothing to do with Government - or the MoD - because they're not announcing funding in any way shape or form. Penny is essentially doing a presser for BMA.

Four of the six Points are still in service and if you talk to their customer base they've proved very flexible and above all cheap (ETA - see Maxibons post above). The extension is basically covering the period between end of the extant contract and decisions on whether to combine the requirement with a future project (eg MRSS) or to hold a new competition for new builds Ro-Ro that will hit the required emissions control regs now coming into force.