PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - T-28 crash Hungary airshow
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2023, 12:57
markkal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treadigraph
Kneeboard and a multi-tool found loose in the wreckage of the P-38, no witness marks to confirm either caused a control restriction.

Re the T-28, suggestion elsewhere that the roll might have been an eight-point hesitation; videos certainly do give a slight impression of quick stop-starts.

On the first video filmed by the crowd line, the roll is not a hesitation one - no 1/8th or 1/4th stops., it's constant roll from what I can see, the fist 180 degrees of the maneuver is very clean and properly executed.
I can clearly see the dive before passing the crowdline which suggests -As if often happens during airshows- that there has been a dive to gain airspeed, to be in the safe side and increase roll rate.

Then there is a shallow climb, very shallow indeed in case of an aircraft which may not have inverted oil and fuel systems, to anticipate the rolling. However american radial engines normally have pressure carburettors, with mechanical fuel pumps replacing carb floaters and jets and if so equipped. Negative G's would not interrupt flow, let alone for that brief moment if the carb was a standard one..

I stress on the "shallow" climb attitude at the roll start and the cosequent flat attitude when inverted which requires more forward stick to unload and pehaps a brief passage in the -1 G territory.
But the pilot showed high level of proficiency and coordination. Roll rate is appropriate as well as height above the ground to complete such maneuver That is what is puzzling me, how he went from such precise flying to what looked like a sloppy and sudden interruption in roll and consequent nose drop if trimmed for +1g cruise flight.

We have a very smooth precise trajectory and roll until past 180 then it degenerates
Something does not add up here.

Tool kit or loose kneyboard may have played a role.