PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are airlines still employing grads from smaller schools?
Old 13th Sep 2023, 07:59
04jharrison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problem. I wouldn't say Ryan air cadets automatically hit 500 (quick to do once you're in a Jet) and go straight to the airlines... more likely they go around 1500 hours or so maybe more, maybe less for those that do, others of course stick around for the quick captaincy and because it suits there lifestyle / basing etc.

Essentially Ryanair don't care about the school you trained at, though they are more selective when it comes to the MCC portion, actively stating that while they accept it, preference is given towards holders of APS MCCs.

Unfortunately the lack of regulation on training in the sector has allowed this to occur with cadets taking on all the risk now as opposed to some of the risk. It needs to change but it won't any time soon and certainly not if the UK CAA and EASA don't work together. The UK CAA can't even safe guard the finances of students from cowboy ATOs they're supposed to VET and sign off on.

Yes, I got lucky and finished my exams a year before the cut-off for training but Brexit cost me at least an extra 10-15k in all. Its ridiculous, UK pilots are licensed in exactly the same way as EASA pilots... yet we decided to leave the organisation despite it not even being on the ballot... that's when you know we're ran by buffoons. If you want to get dual license at the moment, the only option is to sit the ATPLS twice, UK and with a European state (usually Austro), then you can go to a school that has UK and EASA ATO status, there are now a few! They will sign the paperwork for both authorities simultaneously the only extra bit it involves is taking part of your test in EASA air space, so quick trip across the channel. This of course is harder if you're further North.

Ryan air have elected to only take EASA licences at the moment due to the UK not accepting automatic conversion of EASA licence holders since the end of the transition period... With about 10 aircraft in the UK fleet requiring UK licences, unless Ryan transfer more across to G-Reg, they're unlikely to want UK CAA licences.. it just makes things harder for them.

A UK licence is great, if you can get a tagged course with an airline, they can worry about that and you just worry about studying... however, if you go whitetail that's where your risk increases and perhaps as a brit you're better off with an EASA licence for Ryanair.. that said Duel will always be the most beneficial. Obviously do your own research and come to your own conclusions but my advise would be to apply for the free / partially paid airline schemes.. failing that go modular, get a dual licence and pay for the APS MCC and look to Ryanair / maybe Wizz.