PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus Future Pilot Programme 2023
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2023, 03:41
MGJason

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my rejection email, a bit of feedback for all as I have found this thread useful throughout the wait and feel it only right to give back.

I thought I had a pretty strong CV, I’m 34, not sure if that went against me but the way I view it is the USA just raised mandatory retirement age for aircrew to 67 and I feel it is only a matter of time before Europe follows. That gives 30 good years of employment after qualifying provided you can still obtain a medical. I do already have a class 1 medical, both EASA and UK CAA. I also have a good degree in Mechanical Engineering and have been working as an Engineer (non aviation) for 12 years. I also have a PPL / Night Rating and about 80 hours total time. Currently studying towards ATPL’s however have not sat any exams yet.

What let me down? In my opinion as no official feedback is given is the online testing. Like most I found the Verbal reasoning challenging, I do feel reading quickly is already a weakness of mine however the timer did seem very short for the number of questions. The other tests I think I probably performed average on. I took them while working away and not in the perfect environment which probably had an impact. Also it had been 10+ years since I had done psychometric testing; given the opportunity again I feel I could have done much better. I have since discovered online tools such as “Pilot Assessments” which allow us to practice, and by using this is how I have determined my performance as being average on the actual tests. I know I did make a few silly mistakes which I will learn from in the future.

For all of us who received the rejections don’t give up, each time we will improve and will eventually achieve our goals.

Best of luck to everyone who made it to the Assessment Centre, I hope you all enjoy the day and perform your best, getting the invitation is an excellent achievement in itself irrespective of the final outcome.