PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320Neo constant humming noise throughout the cabin
Old 12th Sep 2023, 20:30
punkalouver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
I presume you, (punkalouver), know the sound of the Airbus FBW yellow hyd pump, which runs during single engine taxi?

The 'hacksaw' noise is the hydraulic PTU transferring power between the Green and Yellow hydraulic systems, as they pressurise or depressurise when the engines are started or shut down.
The sound, also known as a 'barking dog in the hold' is worse when the hydraulic accumulators are not fully gas charged. (The PTU is also automatically tested during engine start).

PS to the OP; the cabin recirc fans can be switched off to see if they are the cause, (as can the avionics fans, but I doubt it is those).
Thanks,

All I will claim to know for sure is that the sound I heard the other day reminded me of a hydraulic pump sound I heard on a different aircraft type, and therefore concluded that it could be a hydraulic pump on this aircraft type. But, it is only a guess.

I seem to remember reading that Airbus has made a modification at some point to try and end the hacksaw noise.

I would suggest the OP look into seeing if the noise comes from a hydraulic pump.