PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper crop spraying type crash in Mexico.
Old 10th Sep 2023, 16:35
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
measuring the G factor

Originally Posted by markkal
Are any of these aircrafts fitted with a basic acceleromater as the ones fitted in aerobatic aircrafts ?, Trainers have the standard +6G -4G units that have the possibility to wire lock and seal the reset button.
Any overloads passed certified ones for the type with a red line on both positive and negative G's limits would thus be saved for safety purposes
Not a standard fit out of the factory, in fact the PA 25 'panel' is very limited** although the knife edge cable cutter in front of the windscreen does rather highlight the potential low level spraying issues. I well remember my first actual 'aerial work' op out of a limited strip with an empty hopper, and associated pump and spray bars removed. The 235 HP Lycoming made short work of the strip but the low level circuit seemed to be rather endowed with turbulence that was never an issue with a C180/182. It was simple case of being in a machine that had a surplus of lift (and power) and all the small gusts were readily felt far more.
A fantastic 'cool' performer and great fun to fly, with the hopper lid big enough to fit jerry cans in for 'away days'. The original chemical 'aroma' never went away despite hosing with all manner of detergents and disinfectant. I collected the Pawnee from Holland in the winter and knew the cloud base over the other side of the Channel was likely to be an issue, but the nice chaps from the airfield fitted me up with an electric T&B which was very useful until I intersected the main railway line that ran from Kent past Headcorn and into the Redhill circuit. Headcorn asked for a flypast (there were many Pawnees based there for years) and Redhill suddenly announced the runways were closed (due snow) so we used the peri track (as in the Tiger Club days).