PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper crop spraying type crash in Mexico.
Old 10th Sep 2023, 08:47
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
There is a lot of 'CUB' technology in a PA25 with the emphasis being the ability to 'lift' an economical load for agriculture dressing. It also benefited from being a good 'strip' machine and/or even for non strips. Most of its normal ops are in a low speed mode and its load is dispersed over several runs. Non of all this makes it an ideal aerobatic or display machine, and even the strut configuration is less than ideal, as struts preferred to be 'pulled' not pushed, and a major part of their job is the torsional control of the fabric covered wing. When I collected my PA 25 (from Holland) it was in superb condition and performed as expected, but it had no G meter, and as banner towing requires a 'pull up' I fitted one as it was quite obvious that with a no payload and associated equipment other than the driver, the lifting ability of those wings was incredible and the stick loads very light. I had seen a Pawnee demonstrated at a Headcorn airshow. It flew past the crowd line slowly in typical nose down spraying mode with all the nozzles working and gave everyone a good dose of a well known 'Perfume'. !!! I can smell it now 50 years later, so it was a good display item.