PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speedbird Pilot Academy - Funded
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2023, 08:39
FuturePilot_123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris the Robot
I hope they take the best people for the job out of those who have the right to work here. If economic background is looked at too much it'll end up like the Monty Python Four Yorkshiremen sketch.

There's a lot of us who couldn't afford cadet schemes a decade ago so got careers elsewhere and through hard work we're in with a chance of being able to fund modular training. I wouldn't want us to be disadvantaged in the process as a result of that.
In relation to the latter part of your message - I totally agree. 2/3 years ago I was one of those applicants with no experience. I was up against many applicants with PPLs and ATPLs. On reflection, I could understand why I did not get a position on a cadetship.

Since, I used my degree to get myself a well paid job and as a result I could afford to start a pay as you go Modular approach to my training.
Having now started some ATPLs it would appear I am too far gone to even apply to these cadetships.

I appreciate these schemes are advertised as “cadet”, predominantly looking for people with no experience, but ultimately, this is not an easy training route (especially ATPL theory) so those who have found a way to get started on the journey should not be exempt from applying.