PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2023, 01:50
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by chevvron
Thinking about it, needs to be landed further up the deck to avoid turbulence caused by the airflow spilling down off the stern (round down).
Lt Cdr John Sproule did some trials in the late '40s using gliders and he found that out; I'm surprised the sponsors of the UAV didn't research that.
How do you know the BURBLE was not researched by the 'sponsors of the UAV' [who are?]. In any event as has been suggested the BURBLE is well known by all Naval Air Arms. BAE did research for QE Class for their SIMULATOR. I've read that even knowing about the burble does not mean it can be anticipated well by a carrier pilot due to many variables of WOD. For me in an A4G aboard HMAS Melbourne with a 5.5 degree angle deck it was never talked about. We had enough to contend with at the time.

Flying Without Wings INGENIA Issue 76, Sep 2018
FROM: https://www.ingenia.org.uk/ingenia/i...-without-wings
“A visualisation of vortices being shed from the superstructure as wind flows around the aircraft carrier, modelled using computational fluid dynamics. This is an example of the air-wake models being integrated into the F-35/QEC integration simulator © University of Liverpool”

https://www.ingenia.org.uk/getattach...ebb4d9d/f3.jpg

"...A hugely significant – and world-leading – advance was made in terms of integrating air-wake modelling into the F-35B flight simulator. “If you imagine the air flowing over the sea,” Dr Hodge explains, “it starts to create vortices and turbulence whenever it hits the ship. The angle the wind hits the ship at creates different patterns of airflow over the deck and around the ship. The pilot has to fly through the turbulent air wake behind the carrier in order to land on it, so it’s been really important to model that ship air wake in order to make the simulator as realistic as possible.” ..."

OLDE VaudyVile Joke 'bout a bolt of cheap cloth: "Never Mind the Quality - Feel the Width" of the QE Class from glideslope view.

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 10th Sep 2023 at 05:19. Reason: +JPG
The following users liked this post: