PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Application 2022
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2023, 12:38
SOPS
short flights long nights

Received 157 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Spongeboeing
Well of course flying in the ME is not for everyone just like flying for a European LOCO airline doesn't suit everyone either. I've flown with a lot of Captains in Ryanair and when they describe their situation it is clear that there's no other airline in the world that could offer anything to attract them. There are people in Ryanair who have a side business, a family, passive income from properties and a part time contract flying close to nothing in the south or Spain. Those guys are living the dream and it would be pointless for them to consider the switch.

The decision to join Emirates or any ME company needs to have a vocational component. First you need to look forward to doing long haul. For some of us working 10 hours without really going anywhere is not what we wanted when we decided to become a pilot. For some other people getting back home every day is exactly what makes short haul good. I enjoy finishing work in a different city. Dinner out with the crew, a walk in Sydney, a fun night in Singapore. I always enjoy those little things. They give me life, they make me look forward to work and make a standby call a bit less painful. Then there's the money and benefits.

-Average salary on an 85h month: 8000€.
-Excess hours: 130€/h.
-Pension Fund: About 1000€/month or End Of Service accessible when you leave.
-Profit share, no explanation needed...
-Company accommodation with utilities: ~2000€/mo savings.
-Chauffeur transport to work which is a dramatic stress reduction.
-One time 6000€ furnishing allowance.
-Kids education allowance: ~15000€/year per kid up to 3 kids between 4 and 19 y/o.
-Staff Travel.
-Full medical and dental coverage for the family.
-Platinum Card.
-If you live out and buy property in Dubai you get a 4300€/month allowance. More than enough for a nice high-end apartment in a liveable area (www.propertyfinder.ae)

In the money department Emirates wins over Ryanair by far. If on top of that you think you would enjoy having less stress during work and extra benefits and assistance when you're off the airplane and you would enjoy spending some time in different cities here and there then the decision is easy. You can consider it a long term adventure towards early retirement or you can do 5 years there and then go back to Ryanair demanding a dreamy sunny European base as many people do.

You sound like a recruitment advert!!!. I challenge you on FULL medical benefits for all the family. I would like others to share their latest experience with EK claiming medical.

Arriving in Sydney , and having dinner with the crew? How often have you actually done that? Actually .. how long have you been in EK? Have you actually used any medical services? How many trips have you done?