PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Application 2022
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2023, 09:19
roll_over

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A320LGW
I get all that, but the current UK basic salary is £5300/6000EU gross. Add 85 hrs in that's about £6150/7200EU gross. That isn't variable, its a fixed contract. The basic is guaranteed, and you absolutely will fly a minimum 85hrs a month on average. Yes out of that comes tax and the hotel for the sim (£70 x twice a year?). You're still left with a very decent salary. Not sure about anyone else but my living expenses, absolutely everything, does not reach 3000EU a month, and I'm far from a miser.

You raise a good point about the 4 sectors, common in places like Dublin I suppose. In my base it's mostly 2 sector days, in fact I've not done many 4 sectors this summer at all. Like you say, it depends what you're after. For me all the side benefits are nice to have but that's it, the only thing that will make me move to Dubai is a decent salary differential and that isn't on offer.

Seems the guys a few yrs ago had a much better deal with the housing allowance? They said they are building a lot of new houses in Meydan so I guess that isnt coming back soon.
I guess everyone is different but my basic is that much and if I don’t fly I literally have no extra money. Mortgage, bills, extra pension payment and living expenses takes all of that up, I don’t own a car even. ~£6000 in the UK might be considered a ‘good’ salary but as I was discussing with a colleague who is ex EK, it’s considered good because the living standards of the majority of people in the UK is terrible, not being broke is considered rich.

I don’t miss the Middle East but I do miss saving £5000 a month without even try as an FO.