PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Application 2022
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2023, 09:36
limpfury

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A320LGW
At the recent roadshow they used an odd conversion rate, showing an 85 hr month as 7900EU. I used the actual conversion rate and it was <7500EU.

The guys I spoke to all seemed a bit disappointed by it, it's hardly worth leaving Europe for. Contract dependent, Ryanair FOs are making over 6000EU net, some even more. I guess it'll still attract south Americans, Africans and Asians so they won't raise it.
Although it seems like there is almost no difference, it is actually quite a big step up the 4k-6k net salary that you get as an FO here in a LCC comparing to the 7,5k-8,5k (depending on current usd rates) that you get in EK. The added benefits (accomodation, transportation, education allowance, insurances, etc) that you get in EK.
As an example, a couple with a kid living in Europe would spend average around 3k just on what Ek covers with the benefits.
So in reality in a LCC in Europe you will end up saving between 0k and 2k (depending on the base and contract) and in EK you can easily save 5k-6k. Basically what you get as a salary in a LCC.
In my view that is completely worth it, but of course everyone’s situation and view of quality of life differ.