PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways-2
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2023, 20:53
OntimeexceptACARS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BA318
It's a combination of all those things. Regarding just ordering more planes you realise they don't just magically appear the next day? BA has planes on order already. It takes time. 7 short haul cancellations out of x hundred is not bad. They are all routes with multiple daily flights. It's a similar story at other major hubs. Take FRA yesterday with Lufthansa.

Cancelled:
LH154 Leipzig
LH46 Hannover
LH126 Stuttgart
LH1026 Paris CDG
LH140 Nuremburg
LH72 Dusseldorf
LH4 Hamburg
LH566 Port harcourt
LH1010 Brussels
LH14 Hamburg

and that's just until lunch time.
BA318 I get that other airlines suffer too, and yes I know the order time for a batch of A32x aircraft is currently around 5-7 years. But that's what fleet planners do. The point I am making is - should the travelling public accept it? Problem is that there are not many alternatives to BA from the UK unless its FR/EZY or the dreaded WZZ.

On fleet planning, there are about 20 new aicraft allocated to BA, most replacing A319/A320ceo aircraft which are on average 20 years old and have about 5-8 years of life left in them. Taking the Lufthansa comparison, they have about 45-50 narrow body aircraft on order, albeit replacing older aircraft than BA have.

They need to do better, whether they want to f@nny about with Gatwick operations or not.