PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down outside Leicester City Football Club
Old 7th Sep 2023, 15:39
noooby

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DOUBLE BOGEY
Maybe I misunderstood the report but I believed the TR Pitch went to FULL POWER. Which leaves no chance of a recovery as we saw in this event. No just loss of control . The worst scenario imaginable. Its odd that all other manufacturers fit a safety mechanism, or inherent blade aerodynamics, that would "center" the servo to a reasonable, hopefully survivable pitch setting. I also understand this latent failure event exists in 109/139/169 and 189. Are there any Leonardo techs on here that could confirm this.
Could you perhaps expand on the "all other manufacuters fit a safety mechanism" passage please? Specifically, which aircraft models have this safety mechanism and what exactly is it?

The Elastomerics on the 169 are pretty stiff and help with self centering a bit. I'm trying to think what other tail rotors do for self centering if the control linkage is broken and I can't really think of anything.

Remember, the servo got disconnected. No point in centering an item that isn't part of the control system anymore.