PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Broward County accident...
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2023, 14:55
wrench1

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 60FltMech
At least I’m fairly confident primary structure in my airframe will last longer than a few minutes in the unfortunate case of fire, still rather not experience it!
I guess it all depends on how you view it. Off the top I can remember one incident where the primary flight control support was compromised by fire on an S-92. Luckily it was on the ground, but the post fire review indicated had it been in flight it would have had about the same time frame as the EC above before control would have been lost. Ironically if it had been in flight it was outside the fire detection areas and doubtful the crew would have known. I still don’t think the EC crew knew they were on fire. And we still don’t know what the engine failure was and even if he shutdown the engine or merely put it in idle. Given after he radioed the tower he took the time to radio his department comm center that he couldn’t make the scene gives the impression there was no urgency. I can recall several past instances where an aircraft was on fire and the pilot was not aware. Regardless, since the accident has finally been posted in the NTSB database the preliminary should be close to release.
Originally Posted by roscoe1
must adhere to at least part 91 maintenance guidelines. Any agency not doing so woild be foolish indeed if a savy laywer gets involved.
For a private entity I would agree as they might fly a Part 135, Part 91, and PAO flight all in the same day. However, for a public entity with no regulatory oversight and minimal requirements not so much. A privately owned Cessna 172 flown only on Sundays has more FAA oversight and regulatory requirements than a PAO EC135. And unfortunately there are “foolish” ops out there, especially small flight departments with tight budgets. Whether this is the case with this department has yet to be seen.

Originally Posted by DOUBLE BOGEY
Hence O/S protection and no turbine containment device for the shrapnel.
FYI: I believe all Arrius have integral turbine containment shields. But not all have O/S protection.