PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wallace Resigns as Minister for Defence
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2023, 15:24
pax britanica

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Lima Juliet
pax britanica

The following Tory MPs might challenge that?

Tom Tugendhat MBE - TA Int Corps who has served in Iraq and Afghanistan. Top rank Lt Col.
Johnny Mercer - Royal Arty - also passed All Arms Cdo Course serving with 29 Cdo and 3 RHA. 3 tours in Afghanistan. Top rank Capt.
Penny Mordaunt - RNR. 9 years served. Recently made up to Captain RN.
Darren Henry - RAF. Joined as an Airman and rose to the rank of Sqn Ldr. Logistics Branch.
Leo Docherty - Scots Guards. Served in Iraq and Afghanistan. Top rank Capt.
John Baron - Fusilier. Served in NI, Cyprus and Germany. Top rank Capt.
Bob Stewart - Cheshire Regt. Served 27 years and retired as a Col. Saw action in NI and Bosnia.
Tobias Elwood - Royal Green Jackets. Top rank Captain.
James Sunderland - RLC retiring as a Col after 26 years of service across the globe.
James Cleverley - current TA in the Royal Arty. Has done nearly 30 years.
Ian Liddel-Granger - Fuslier. Major in the TA with 17 years service.
Jason McCartney - RAF. Admin Branch. 7 years and retired as Flt Lt.
Robert Seeley MBE - TA UKSF 9 years as a Captain.
Royston Smith - RAF as an engineer for 10 years.
James Heapey - Rifles. Served in Iraq, NI and Afghanistan. Retired as a Major.
Steve Baker - RAF. Engineering Officer. 10 years retiring as a Flt Lt.

There are others, but I can’t think of them right now. Any would be better suited in my humble opinion…
I did not mean only Eallace was any good because he was only one with expe ise aererience but that perhaps that experience ost otherwas a help unli,ke most othrr ministrrs. I know there is a very British anti professional school of thought that favors ignorant amateurs ovrr profesdionals. No inexperiencdd generals are there? Most airline ceos good and bad have some industry experience. Given the state of uk today then z i think there is a strong case that ministers should have some broadly relevant experience othrrwise you get liz truss types all over government.