PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL study on a budget
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2023, 15:03
bakerin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rudestuff
How much longer?! Firstly try to get away from thinking that modular takes longer, it is often the case but isn't a rule. Flight training takes as long a it takes. If you want to do things quickly then modular is quicker and if you want to do things slowly then modular is slower - because you have the flexibility to train at your own speed.

You asked so I'll answer.

In Europe a CPL/IR requires 200 hours in aeroplanes (with a few credits for other licences held). Aeroplanes are pretty expensive in Europe and the weather is often unreliable meaning training is often long and expensive.

In the US, a Commercial/instrument pilot certificate (part 61 ~ modular) requires 250 hours as a pilot with 100 hours in powered aircraft and 50 hours in airplanes.
In the popular flight training places, the weather is more reliable, meaning you can get a PPL in 4 weeks, IR in 4 weeks, hour build 25 hours per week etc..

Straight away you can see the loophole: in the US you can credit far more flight time as long as its got an N-number [part 61.51(j)]. This includes helicopters, gliders, hot air balloons and powered parachutes.
Also, simulated instrument flight time with a safety pilot is considered a two pilot operation, meaning that two pilots can log the same flight under certain circumstances. Flight training for flight instructor can be done concurrently with commercial - meaning that if you structure your training effectively you can take your commercial flight test in the morning and your CFI test in the afternoon. In the US (on the right visa) you can work as a flight instructor until you have the 1500 hours necessary for an ATP certificate, whilst concurrently studying for the European exams. A good school could have you at CFI in 6-9 months, meaning in 2 years you can go from zero to 1500 hours. At that point you could convert to a European licence in 10-15 hours or possibly stay in the US as try for a regional FO position, subject to immigration rules. Plenty of people do to the US as a flight instructor, get married and stay to fly jets!
Thank you for sharing this valuable information. I have a few questions based on your insights:

1. Could you clarify if you believe that obtaining a Private Pilot License (PPL) would still be the first step regardless of the training path chosen?

2. When you mention being "on the right visa" to work as a flight instructor in the US, could you explain what specific visa category you are referring to? How difficult is it to obtain such a visa for an extended duration of stay in the US, especially considering potential challenges like requiring a job offer?

3. You mentioned the possibility of concurrently pursuing flight instructor training along with commercial training. Could you elaborate on this approach? Are you referring to hour building as an instructor instead of immediately applying for a job as a first officer?

Assuming you meant getting married to obtain a visa, I wouldn't really want to incorporate that into my plan, for obvious reasons. However, I am open to staying in the US if there are other ways about obtaining a permanent visa.

Apologies if some of this doesn't make sense, I'm still very early on into my journey and am figuring things out day by day. Your insights are greatly appreciated once again.

Last edited by bakerin; 6th Sep 2023 at 15:06. Reason: Spelling mistake