PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL study on a budget
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2023, 11:40
CAP A330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rudestuff
The US is a great option for someone free and single with a sense of adventure who's starting from scratch, but obviously there's a law of diminishing returns so there comes a point where it's easier to do stuff at home. Personally I think you've got the right idea - IMC the CBIR is the cheapest way into the IR club and also to stop those ATPL exams expiring. The SEIR to MEIR only needs a few flights in a multi vs 15 hours if you do the MEIR as your initial IR so that saves a lot. If you've got the budget, aim to get the MEP and MEIR upgrade done so that you can finish with a 15 hour CPL SE course at 200 hours. If the clock is ticking on exams or the budget is limited, then go straight to the CPL. You won't have everything done by 200 hours but it's not a bad position to be in: 7 years left on the ATPLs about a month from the finish line with only the MEIR and MCC remaining. A very good position in fact because you can judge the market and jump in when you choose with nothing to keep current and brand new qualifications when you do.
Thank you.

I can’t find much detail on the CBIR exams, are they particularly short and easy? It’s 7 exams but I don’t know the duration or number of questions.

How have people managed to get visas to work in the US?

Is it worth me attempting a switch to a FAA PPL to continue onto a FAA CPL-ME-IR (if that’s how they do it there), then convert back to a CAA CPL-ME-IR?

Or even the same route but using EASA? Is it a nightmare to convert licenses?