PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and JET2 secret meeting in Leeds
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2023, 14:09
beardy

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by H44
You’re correct about not as indebted. However, TUI were a lot more profitable than Jet2 prior to covid.

Not sure what the major Russian shareholder has to do with anything.
As a keen amateur investor I like to know who the major share holders are, it gives an inkling into possible future plans. I also like to monitor board members' stock movement. The major shareholder is a Russian and the company owned by his wife, they bought in when TUI had to payback their covid relief debts. I believe that he is currently sanctioned by the USA. How reliable is he? Only time will tell. I also look at profit, but not as a simple number, it's important to look at the profit in relation to many different markers. Technically TUI is close to not being liquid, debts are greater than assets at the moment and earnings are close to interest on the debt. Not a dissimilar picture to Thomas Cook. The opportunity for share growth exists but only if the market remains buoyant and margins stay strong and investors (and banks) stay reliable. The cost of borrowing to cover the debts has increased remarkably and may stay high for some time. This could put pressure on TUI.
Jet2 benefit greatly when TUI don't cut prices(in order to preserve their margins). TUI are present in many markets whereas Jet2 rely on the UK. So far the UK market has held up well, the same can't be said for some of TUI's markets.

So whose shares should one buy, if either?

Sorry if it's a bit of thread drift. This 'meeting' doesn’t appear to have affected Jet2 share price much, yet.

Last edited by beardy; 5th Sep 2023 at 15:47.