PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots, would you do it again?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2004, 17:02
teeteringhead

Gentleman Aviator

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts
Of course I would! The RAF, rather like nostalgia, is not what it used to be - so what! That's exactly what old b%ggers were saying when I joined nearly 36 years ago. The services may be a little out of date (in the best sense) but continue to reflect the outside world.

Yes we have H&S, PC and equal opportunities. Mostly good news - the only things girlies can't be in the RAF are rockapes and catholic padres!

But we also no longer have to wear suits in the Mess on mondays tuesdays and thursdays (blazers or sports jackets only wednesdays and weekends!), and I don't think anyone these days would be thrown out of breakfast by a senior officer on a saturday morning (as I once was) for daring to wear a cravat and not a tie with my tweed jacket!

"Teetering - I don't think that material round your neck constitutes a tie within the meaning of mess rules. Get out!"

Don't think even BeAGs wants those days back.....

...... but if you have to think about it be sure you've got the 110% commitment it needs.

Of course I didn't enjoy every day but eventually enjoyed every job - even the non-flying ones had their moments. And 5000+ hours qualified on 10 different military types ... priceless.

Do it again? I only wish I could ... si jeunesse savait ... si viellesse pouvait or something like that