PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CV cover letters
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2004, 16:28
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never posted on any thread that mentions my course as I do not want to be seen to be advertising, but I thought I would just post something here to put down the other side to this thread and make a few points.

I totally agree that pilots should help pilots and indeed, what is this industry coming to if we don't? I would like to think that I (just like many others on here) have helped a large number of Wannabes with plenty of absolutely free advice, both on these pages and via PM and email. Indeed my PM box is next to useless, as it can't handle the amount of traffic that I get! I am always willing to offer an opinion, as that is all that any of us can do, perhaps pointing out options and recounting experiences that help an individual make their choices, for it is 'their' choices, that they need to make, as, after all, it is their money they are spending.

What I would like to say is that Virginskid has made some very valid points; there is plenty of information out there in internet land about CV and cover letter writing and interviews and selection tests, but as pointed out by others, much of it is inappropriate to the aviation market and the UK aviation market in particular. CVs and cover letters are subjective and each recruiter will have different ideas about what they like. The main thing is that the basics are right and they can see the information that they need with little effort. Also, the more hours on relevant types with well established and respected carriers and the higher demand for your skills, the worse your CV can be and still be read! It’s just like any other market forces transaction. If we look at these pages, they tend to be dominated by low hours guys looking to break into airlines (mainly UK based), so their CVs and letters need to be just right and they need (especially in the current market) to do everything possible to ensure that if they get asked to a selection, they pass. Plenty do not, and indeed some don't even learn from the process. That is tragic and could be the only chance they get for employment for many, many months.

I have had the pleasure of meeting many Wannabes who will make excellent pilots (just my opinion!) but who lack the presentation skills for CVs and interviews, usually through a lack of understanding of what the market wants and not having a clear understanding of what they are trying to achieve at each stage and how to do it. All the effort seems to go into getting the licence and then there is a period of 'sitting back' thinking it will happen, followed by an understanding that they are just not doing enough, then hopefully a more determined effort goes in and perhaps a selection or two results.

In the current market you have to do everything possible to minimise the risk of failure. I am not saying that everyone should pay for some kind of instruction in this field, far from it. Plenty have previous experience of CVs and selection tests, which they can and do apply successfully to the aviation job market. But with such fierce competition for flying jobs and the large number of applicants for every post, if you don’t do better than the other applicants you won’t get the job. If you are not strong in this field then it’s just like any flying test; get some instruction!

There is indeed plenty of information on the internet about CVs, letters, selection tests and the like, but it tends to be well buried and surrounded by a lot of rubbish which someone new to the industry may find hard to disseminate. Remember, not everyone wants to troll through pages and pages of info on the internet trying to find what they want. Some people would prefer to just get some instruction.

So there you have it, paying for this type of advice, especially if you don't have the skills (say with presentation of documents like CVs) is not for everyone, but some find it extremely valuable.

PP