PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking over the pond!!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2023, 17:25
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC is pretty good with the licensing transfers. It's not as horrible as it could be. Just know that they're ticking boxes, so it helps if you already know if you're short on hours and accept you may need to rent to do some cleanup flying. Don't assume they'll just tick the box for you because you fly a shiny airplane. They don't care. When I moved back home to Canada, I was short 1.8 hours or so of dual night instruction because NZ had a lower requirement than Canada. So, 1.8 hours in a 172 with an instructor it was. Seems silly, but if you just accept it and run with it, you'll be better off. Just take the CARs, plug in your hours for the license you're converting, and see what you'll need to do. No nightmare required.

Now, if you're coming over for the lifestyle that living in certain parts of Canada can bring, cool. But you don't have nearly enough experience to come over for any sort of Direct Entry Captain spot, so you'd be moving back to the bottom of the seniority list at whatever airline you are hired onto. I'd suggest that if lifestyle is your primary driver, get a few years of command flying under your belt, and then make the move. Then you're in a spot to maybe obtain a DEC spot with someone like Flair or Lynx. No such luck with the likes of AC or WJ though, so you may as well come sooner if those are the companies you're looking at as only seniority drives upgrades there.

As Mostly Harmless already said, there is no quick way to move south of the border. There are pilots making the move, but they tend to either have a connection to the US already or they are what is considered "exceptional talent" - think 15,000 hours 737 command time with a college degree type people. So if the is your goal, you might be better making the move from where you are.