PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Wake Turbulence
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2023, 16:56
JohnDixson

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Sorry Jim-thought I posted an acknowledgement of my error, but didn’t push the “Post” button apparently.

The larger machines of course have a real chance to cause trouble in this arena. The CH-53 and CH-54 were just starting production runs when I signed on at Sikorsky and we did have a couple of embara$$ing examples.
The Japanese CH-53E presented an interesting case as they intended to be able to use it as a backup rescue vehicle, prompting a real live ( as in a human in a Mae West ) doing test program in Long Island Sound. Wasn’t mid summer either. The swimmer was a former USN Helo pilot who had left the USN to take a job in the 53 Program Office. Volunteered to be the swimmer and it took 30-45 minutes with him in the water, in what looked like a localized hurricane on the surface as the downwash would consistently push him away when they thought they had him. Tried changing altitudes and different approaches etc. I was flying our rescue S-76 and was about to call it off when they finally got him.
The following users liked this post: