PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brit girl arrested for bomb "joke"
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2004, 14:33
bealine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doc Manhatten - I wonder how tolerant you would feel if:

(a) You'd served with the Armed Forces in Northern Ireland at the height of the "troubles" and seen a bomb hidden under a baby in a pram.

(b) You'd lost workmates or family members killed by terrorists in the 09/11 tragedy. (We all think of the World Trade Centre, but don't forget the airline passengers and crew who lost their lives too!)

(It is said, though I haven't experienced it thankfully, that when an airliner goes down, the check in and gate staff recall in vivid detail each passenger they dealt with on that flight and that the memory never fades!)

(c) You'd lost workmates or family members in the Lockerbie bombing.

The airline industry is an extremely "incestuous" (figureatively) one. Many airport workers have lost family and friends in terrorist incidents and many security personnel have served in the Armed Forces. "Jokes" concerning terrorism at airports are NOT funny and, to many airport workers, brings back very painful memories!!!

Okay, 6 months bird may seem harsh - why not a period of community service working in an extablishment like the Royal Hospital at Chelsea working with ex-servicemen who have fought terrorism at close quarters (delightful gentlemen, every one!)

I think her sense of humour may mature, somewhat!

FYI, thousands of Brits (and other nationalities) still visit the USA for holidays and business trips and have no problems at all with the American people - whether the bell hop or the Police Officer. They have the same protocols as anywhere else in the world - respect them, they'll respect you! If you're challenged, answer questions politely, let 'em look in your bag, let 'em put your shoes through the scanner and, if you're honest, legal, decent and truthful, you'll not have any problems!!!