PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brit girl arrested for bomb "joke"
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2004, 13:35
DocManhattan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time I heard the `bomb' gag I was 14, and so was the guy that said it. We thought we were very witty, though the RAF Regiment types we said it to didn't seem so amused. Still, they rolled their eyes at us and waved us through the gates of the base we were visiting. I guess times have changed ... and I don't think I would've found it so funny by the time I got to 21, but that was so long ago I can hardly remember.
But I still think this is way OTT for the girl to be remanded in custody, facing trial and a potential 6 months in jail, for chrissake! Some respondents to this thread getting on their high horses about how stupid she was might well try thinking back to how much they knew about the world when they were 21. Seems to me that cuffing, questioning her, searching her and her luggage and inconveniencing her by making her miss her flight might be sufficient to get the message across, since she wasn't actually carrying anything hazardous.
I really do worry about what's happening to the USA ... Always loved going there for visits. Not sure I'd be so keen
anymore.