PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Strategic Defence Review 2020 - get your bids in now ladies & gents
Old 1st Sep 2023, 19:16
SLXOwft

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Davef68
It's the optics. For some reason, the press and public have a strange attitude to political leaders getting VIP transport
<RANT>Am I right assuming it's British arseiness and jealousy? I can't see POTUS using Marine One to fly the 62 miles to Camp David causing uproar but the PM flying 100+ to Norwich so he could be back in time to fulfil other commitments is seen as tantamount to misfeasance in public office. I understand that ROI government members use Air Corps AW139s to get around

'Sunak could have gone to Norwich by train it would have been greener.' Yeah, right and all the necessary vehicles at the other end for him, his PS, his security detail, SPAD etc. would have been teleported there, and all the passengers excluded for security reasons would be chuffed because he wasn't flying. This and all the additional pollution caused by disruption to traffic would apparently be greener. I bet the most of the complainers think its OK to fly to their holiday destinations even if they would be possible to reach by high speed train and ferry.</RANT>

According to Wikipedia 'Helicopters are seen as not only cheaper and more cost effective but also more convenient than a motorcade.' probably true but no supporting evidence given
The following users liked this post: