PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TOO GOOD FOR GA?
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2023, 01:30
PiperCameron

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Clare Prop
It's a worry that there are instructors who are unaware of this. eg when a certain school churns out another lot and they come knocking on my door with their halloween pilot costume and resume, I ask how they would deem someone competent in say recovery from unusual attitudes and get the blank stare and then the most annoying phrase an examiner gets: "My instructor told me..." ie they have had the subjective method of instructing that doesn't belong in modern training systems and it's a disgrace that flying schools are still churning out new instructors this way.
It's not always the Instructors fault: it seems many kids these day (millennials) coming through our broken school system are being taught by rote / multiple choice, rather than how to rationally think for themselves. Hence the "My instructor told me..." response. It's a disgrace for sure, then made worse by ex-Airline "instructors" (with lots of experience, sure, but not a teaching bone in their body) who are so scared of what these rote-learnt students will do, they insist on flying the plane for the student rather than setting some boundaries for the student to work within... because that's not what is written down in the manual!

Within flying schools at least, common sense is becoming less common. And mountains of CASA regs and requirements isn't helping.