PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TOO GOOD FOR GA?
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2023, 00:54
Clare Prop

Received 242 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches
Pretty sure it would get treated in court as TLDR, the same as any contract of sale that is the same. Any contract thats more than a few pages long and its considered too long for an average human to comprehend. Unless you specifically explained each item explicitly. "Sir they gave me a heap of books, but never told me how to read them, its all in weird jargon".
There are 44 pages of the MOS that are relevant to Day VFR PPL and CPL standards for the flying, non technical skills, English Language and airspace operations units. Just 44 with double spaced text.

Taking the Little Johnny example, if neither he nor the instructor are aware that this is what is actually meant by "competent in land aeroplane" ie when he can consistently do all of the things in this unit then you are right the student records become meaningless and belive me I get some meaningless tick.n.flick student records forwarded to me often and wonder what on earth the HOOs are doing.

So on pre flight brief say "this is what you will need to be able to demonstrate to me and to the examiner to be deemed competent" then everyone knows what is expected.

So if LJ lands well but is consistently outside the +/- 2m of the centreline, or slams on the brakes, or forgets to put his flaps up before taxi, he will not be competency 1 and the record should match the debrief in explaining why so that he knows what to work on next time.

It's a worry that there are instructors who are unaware of this. eg when a certain school churns out another lot and they come knocking on my door with their halloween pilot costume and resume, I ask how they would deem someone competent in say recovery from unusual attitudes and get the blank stare and then the most annoying phrase an examiner gets: "My instructor told me..." ie they have had the subjective method of instructing that doesn't belong in modern training systems and it's a disgrace that flying schools are still churning out new instructors this way.

I don't consider this example weird jargon or too difficult for an average human to comprehend. A flying instructor and student should certainly be able to comprehend it or they really have no place in the flying training industry.

The following users liked this post: